Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default Myth of the Texas Economy

On 1/12/2011 7:16 AM, wrote:
On Jan 12, 12:41 am, wrote:

It's not that. It's just that we've been to other places. And they're a
lot better than Texas.

Hawke

I have lived in California. I left in 1962 because it was a terrible
place to live. I do not think it has improved.

The above is similar to your comments on Texas. I did not say where
in California I lived. I implied that all of California is the same
as the bit where I lived.

I've lived in California for nearly 40 years. Some places are not very
nice, that's for sure. But others are pretty good. That's why I left the
south and moved north. You may have been all over the state and think
all of it is terrible. That is an opinion you're entitled to. Just like
my lousy opinion of Texas. Do I think every inch of Texas sucks? No,
because I hear some places I've never been to, like Austin, are pretty
nice. But that doesn't change my overall view of the place. I'm entitled
to my opinion same as you.

Like I said, they did not teach you to think in college. I notice you
provide no cites for most of what you say.

You're right, I didn't learn to think in college. I learned that on my
own long before I got to college. When I was in college I took a course
of study in a specific field and completed it. But because I went to
school for so many years and over such a long time I learned far more
than just what is taught in politics. I only got my bachelor's degree in
2000. These days they make you take a lot of classes unrelated to your
degree. Here's some examples. I had to take an anthropology class on
North American Indians. I had to take a class called world food and
fiber, and another one on comparative religions. Classes like that are
what makes a well rounded person by means of the educational process. I
learned a lot of things from those classes. But over the years I also
took many other classes when I had other majors like History, English,
and Psychology. So I got a wide range of learning during my college
time. All of which is to explain why I don't give cites. It's because
most of what I write is not from places that I can give an attribution
to. I'm giving mainly opinions on things that I know about from my
overall education. Then there is the fact that this forum isn't a place
where any kind of rules are required. Citations are nice when you are
referring to something specific. I rarely do that because I don't go to
places to get information that I pass along here. If I did I would cite
where I got my facts. But I say what I think and what I know about. Like
I can say a lot about tennis, having been an owner of a tennis pro shop
and having been a certified instructor. But I would probably never give
a cite related to tennis. It's just not necessary. You either believe I
know what I am talking about from my experience or you don't. The thing
I notice about you is that you don't seem to get much out of what is
written except what the exact words say. You don't get any nuance and
don't have the ability to "read between the lines". Maybe you take
things too literally. It seems like you do because you miss everything
but the literal point. There is more than that, you know. Especially
from me.

Hawke