Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default American Political Situation

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 01:30:22 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

I don't carry often, but I don't feel silly when I do. As an old man,
I feel safer with a popper in me pocket. It may be an illusion, but
it's a comforting illusion. We old farts like such comforts as we can
find. I have no illusion that I'm not an old fart, albeit marksman.

You are safer, period. Just showing a gun will head off the majority
of perp actions. They thrive on the unarmed and frozen frames of the
unwashed.

I'm no gunslinger. My carry is a pocket pistol in a pocket holster.
It takes me a small fraction of a week to draw my pistol from pocket,

And who says you have to -draw- to shoot a rapidly approaching perp?
(Mary or you could sew up the hole, eh?) If you have time, you'll
naturally draw it, but, in a pinch...

so I pay attention to what's happenin' around me. I won't win any
quickdraw contests but I'm not a soldier, LEO or gunslinger. Payin'
attention is my primary defense. I'll avoid what I can, have me
pistol in hand for what I can't avoid. I do not expect to ever shoot
anyone and fervently hope that I'll never have to. I'm a vet, been
there and done that.

That's what counts. Paying attention is 9/10 of the battle. It gives
you a chance to avoid or escape without battle as well as giving you
the necessary information about your surroundings to make yourself
safer if an encounter is inevitable.

I'll never win any bullseye competitions with my nearly 70-year-old
eyes, but I do OK with doubletaps and Mozambique drills at 21 feet.
The silhouette targets I shoot wouldn't be drawing social security.

This is good. Silhouettes and other illegals shouldn't be on the dole,
anyway. (though silhouettes don't eat much 'n never use food stamps.)

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,