Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Gun lobby always wins

On 1/11/2011 10:34 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm pleased to hear that some parts of the USA
are still relatively crime free. My town has a similar
situation, somewhat low crime.

I'm also not sure which of my neighbors own
guns. I hope all the sane and rational ones do,
and the deranged do not. Sadly, it's likely
backwards of that.

However, the urban centers such as Wash DC
(the "crime capital" of USA) and NYC and Los
Angeles have strict gun laws and high crime rates.

Which came first, the gun laws or the crime?
to me it doesn't matter. Loosen up the gun laws
and the crime goes down (So says Gary Kleck, who
researched this.)

"strict gun laws' are basically irrelevant with freedom of movement and
unrestricted travel between jurisdictions. Making DMZs of big cities
would only work if there was a perimeter around them, and everything
passing in or out was checked thoroughly.

(Yeah, I know, in theory handgun sales are controlled everywhere. But
most locations, long guns are basically sold to anyone who walks in the
door. They don't look at the IDs very closely at all.)

--
aem sends...