Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Gun lobby always wins (???)

On Jan 11, 7:46*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The following article defines our population into
3 catagories, The Sheep (those that will not defend
themselve nor their families yet wish to deny others
that basic right to defend themselves), The Wolves
(those that prefer violence to attain that which isn't
theirs, and inflict great harm on those they prey on)
and The Sheepdogs (The warriors that go into the
night to do battle for those that would rather sleep).

SO read on, pick out the basic gist of the article as
it shows how most *people are in denial.

This below was written by LTC Dave Grossman (Ret.), he is
RANGER
with a Ph.D. and has written a book "On Killing."

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

"Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age.
It does
so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble
and worthy
things that deserve to be defended, even if it comes at a
high cost.
In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn,
hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself. The
question
remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for?
What is
worth living for?" - William J. Bennett - in a lecture to
the United
States Naval Academy November 24, 1997

One Vietnam veteran, an old retired colonel, once said this
me: "Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are
kind,
gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another
by
accident." This is true. Remember, the murder rate is six
per
100,000 per year, and the aggravated assault rate is four
per 1,000
per year. What this means is that the vast majority of
Americans are
not inclined to hurt one another.

Some estimates say that two million Americans are victims of
violent
crimes every year, a tragic, staggering number, perhaps an
all-time
record rate of violent crime. But there are almost 300
million
Americans, which means that the odds of being a victim of
violent
crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any
given year.
Furthermore, since many violent crimes are committed by
repeat
offenders, the actual number of violent citizens is
considerably
less than two million.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the
situation: we may well be in the most violent times in
history, but
violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most
citizens are
kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each
other,
except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are
sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep.

To me it is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is
soft and
gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But
the egg
cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers,
soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and
someday the
civilization they protect will grow into something
wonderful. For
now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the
predators.

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and
the
wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe
there are
wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy?
You
better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they
are
capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend
it is
not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog.
I live
to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy
productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for
violence and
no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined
an
aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a
capacity for
violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do
you have
then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the
hero's path.
Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the
universal
human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

One career police officer wrote to me about this after
attending one
of my Bulletproof Mind training sessions:

I want to say thank you for finally shedding some light on
why it is
that I can do what I do. I always knew why I did it. I love
my
folks, even the bad ones, and had a talent that I could
return to my
community. I just couldn't put my finger on why I could wade
through
the chaos, the gore, the sadness, if given a chance try to
make it
all better, and walk right out the other side.

Let me expand on this old soldier's excellent model of the
sheep,
wolves, and sheepdogs. We know that the sheep live in
denial, which
is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that
there is
evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can
happen,
which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers,
fire
alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an
armed police
officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of
times
more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school
violence
than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility
of
violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or
harm their
child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of
denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot
like
the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The
difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not
and will
not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog that intentionally
harms the
lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world
cannot
work any other way, at least not in a representative
democracy or a
republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant
reminder
that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he
didn't
tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or
stand at the
ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an
M-16. The
sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs,
spray
paint himself white, and go, "Baa"...... until the wolf
shows up.
Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one
lonely
sheepdog.

The students, the victims, at Columbine High School were
big, tough
high school students, and under ordinary circumstances they
would
not have had the time of day for a police officer. They were
not bad
kids; they just had nothing to say to a cop. When the school
was
under attack, however, and SWAT teams were clearing the
rooms and
hallways, the officers had to physically peel those
clinging,
sobbing kids off of them.

This is how the little lambs feel about their sheepdog when
the wolf
is at the door. Look at what happened after September 11,
2001 when
the wolf pounded hard on the door. Remember how America,
more than
ever before, felt differently about their law enforcement
officers
and military personnel? Remember how many times you heard
the
word "hero"?

Understand that there is nothing morally superior about
being a
sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be. Also understand
that a
sheepdog is a funny critter: He is always sniffing around
out on the
perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go
bump in
the night, and yearning for a righteous battle. That is, the
young
sheepdogs yearn for a righteous battle. The old sheepdogs
are a
little older and wiser, but they move to the sound of the
guns when
needed right along with the young ones.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently.
The sheep
pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for
that
day.

After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep,
that is,
most citizens in America said, "Thank God I wasn't on one of
those
planes." The sheepdogs, the warriors, said, "Dear God, I
wish I
could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have
made a
difference." When you are truly transformed into a warrior
and have
truly invested yourself into warrior hood, you want to be
there. You
want to be able to make a difference.

There is nothing morally superior about the sheepdog, the
warrior,
but he does have one real advantage. Only one. And that is
that he
is able to survive and thrive in an environment that
destroys 98
percent of the population.

There was research conducted a few years ago with
individuals
convicted of violent crimes. These cons were in prison for
serious,
predatory crimes of violence: assaults, murders and killing
law
enforcement officers. The vast majority said that they
specifically
targeted victims by body language: slumped walk, passive
behavior
and lack of awareness. They chose their victims like big
cats do in
Africa, when they select one out of the herd that is least
able to
protect itself.

However, when there were cues given by potential victims
that
indicated they would not go easily, the cons said that they
would
walk away.

If the cons sensed that the target was a "counter-predator,"
that
is, a sheepdog, they would leave him alone unless there was
no other
choice but to engage. One police officer told me that he
rode a
commuter train to work each day. One day, as was his usual,
he was
standing in the crowded car, dressed in blue jeans, T-shirt
and
jacket, holding onto a pole and reading a paperback.

At one of the stops, two street toughs boarded, shouting and
cursing
and doing every obnoxious thing possible to intimidate the
other
riders. The officer continued to read his book, though he
kept a
watchful eye on the two punks as they strolled along the
aisle
making comments to female passengers, and banging shoulders
with men
as they passed.

As they approached the officer, he lowered his novel and
made eye
contact with them. "You got a problem, man?" one of the IQ-
challenged punks asked.

"You think you're tough, or somethin'?" the other asked,
obviously
offended that this one was not shirking away from them. "As
a matter
of fact, I am tough," the officer said, calmly and with a
steady
gaze.

The two looked at him for a long...

read more

WHAT BULL!!! MEN ARE NOT SHEEP OR WOLVES, THE MISTAKE IS ANIMAL
MAGNETISM, MEN ERR WHEN IN DOUBT.
MEN ARE NOT ANIMALS., LEST THEY BE HUNTED LIKE ONE.
PATECUM