Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- (way off topic) Fuel tank repair

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:19:24 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 01/10/2011 08:19 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
On 01/09/2011 06:26 AM, axolotl wrote:
On 1/8/2011 4:34 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Is anyone aware of a reliable method
of tank repair in place?

Sure. Weld in repair panels OR CLEAN the interior of the tanks very well
and epoxy coat them inside. You can buy fuel liner epoxy at many marine
stores.

My concern would be access. In most of these installations, one could
not get to the bottom or back of the tank to weld it, and the tank
coatings I have found have directions to rotate the tank (like
"sloshing" an aircraft tank) to coat the interior. Are you aware of any
coatings that can be "painted" through an access port?

Put one hand on the bow of the boat, and another on the stern, so that
you are looking at the deck. Pick up the boat. Rotate your wrists
forward. Now rotate them back. Tip the bow up, then tip the bow down.
Repeat. This should get the coating thoroughly distributed on the
tanks.

Or sail it through 12 foot surf. ;-)

Twice, once for each tank.

Don't forget to remove the mast and run it parallel with the 12' surf
so it coats the tops of the tanks, too. Toobin'!

That sounds much more practical.

Do it reeeealy?

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope