Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default American Political Situation

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:08:39 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:04:08 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 00:47:17 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Until a complete physical and psych workup is done, we are
just like the radical left making assumptions and crying for
gun confiscation as a cure all/panacea.

And then we dust off ole Sparky?

I wonder how many liberals will contest this one, saying "He's sick.
You can't kill him. He didn't know what he was doing."

What fascinates me...is that given the numbers of legally armed citizens
in Aridzona..no one simply shot the *******.

Liberals, who don't generally own guns, flock to liberal speakers.
Conservatives, who -do- carry weapons, do not.

I'm not a conservative (or liberal) and I carry a weapon.

The point is that most liberals do not. I'll bet a few more get
licensed this week, though.

It's no surprise to me
that no other guns were present.

That is not the case, there was at least one armed civilian present,
indeed one who helped tackle the perp. He determined that drawing his
weapon was not the best option. We probably won't even know how many
other civilians present were armed and also determined that drawing
their weapons was not the best option.

Interesting. VERY interesting. Ever read the 4th chapter, Social
Proof, in Robert Cialdini's _Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion_?
It's a book I'd recommend for every living human to read, at least for
that chapter. It could save your life.

Anyway, if you're dying on the side of the road and there are hundreds
of people driving/walking by, don't cry "Somebody help me." They
probably won't. You have to ask someone directly to help before
they'll do it. Otherwise, to often, people will see others ignoring
you and they have a strong social proof that's the way to handle the
situation. They'll ignore you, too. Some think of legal ramifications
of helping you in the wrong way, others don't want to get involved
(especially if you're of a different race), some don't feel that they
have enough medical training, and others just don't care.

He cited all the neigbors (where else but Chicago?) of Catherine
Genovese who was raped and killed in front of all her fellow men.
All thought "Someone has already called the police so I won't."
http://tinyurl.com/4zmz6p3

I'm wondering how much social proof was involved in this shooting
case.

I was surprised that no cops were
anywhere near, though.

Presumably they were off hunting doughnuts, speeders or some other
worthy task.

Yeah, no doubt.

Or was this the result of it being a group of Democrats trying to look
PC?

You got it in one.

I understand that the lady did carry a weapon, so while she was a

Really? Amazing.

Democrat..she was a smart one. Unfortunately no one else in the crowd
apparently was as smart.

What do you want to bet that even if she'd seen him coming, she
wouldn't have been able to draw and fire before he did?

The perp always has the element of surprise.

Which is why terrorists always have the upper hand, and no amount of
money thrown at the problem will ever "fix it" and "make us safe",
despite the rhetoric tossed out by the DHS and gun banners. sigh
That's why I got a carry permit. When seconds count, the police are
only minutes (or hours) away.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.