Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. D. Slocomb J. D. Slocomb is offline

Default OT- (way off topic) Fuel tank repair

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 09:49:19 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

On 1/8/2011 5:36 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:

Any chance you could install a bladder inside the tank, more
or less like a racing fuel cell?

This would seem to be the best solution, but I have not found a form
factor that will work; saddle tanks on these vessels are usually
vertical, up against the hull.
It is such an elegant solution that I will keep looking.

thanks,

Kevin

I've seen a bloke with a 36 ft. sloop that had a similar problem -
tanks leak; can't get to it. He removed the old tank by cutting it
into small enough pieces to remove and then fabricated a tank that was
small enough to get back into the hole and replaced them. He ended up
with rather small tanks and so added another tank which was in a
locker he said he didn't use.... which was probably a lie but he is
still using the boat.

Another solution was a Farr 42 ft. that had very small fuel tanks. The
boat was lying in Singapore and the plan was to take it back to
Australia. The Charter Captain wanted to make a non-stop voyage so
they bought bladder tanks and loaded them in one of the unused areas
and away they went.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)