Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default OT- (way off topic) Fuel tank repair

On 2011-01-09, axolotl wrote:
On 1/9/2011 9:48 AM, Ignoramus26282 wrote:
Is anyone aware of a reliable method
of tank repair in place?

Kevin Gallimore

I would try to do it right the first time, pull the engine, service
the engine, pull the tank, service or replace tank.

This is the right way to do it. The cost of doing it is upwards of
seven grand. I am just looking at vessels. If there were a reliable
method of fixing a tank in situ for a grand, it might be the making
or breaking of a deal. Remember that a vessel of this size is
probably not in your garage where you can tinker with it after
work. It sits in a boatyard that charges money to have it sit
there. Because it is away from home you don't have the resources of
your shop to bring to bear against the problem.

I did not think about that. I would think that having an old boat with
issues, facing repair costs like these, makes it uneconomical.

Boat (b?t) n:
A hole in the water, lined with wood, fiberglass, or metal, into which
one pours money.

;-)
Rich