Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim..[_3_] Tim..[_3_] is offline

Default DIY ADSL connection?

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to connect the phone/ADSL splitter in my house
to a desktop computer by a long (10 metres) telephone wire.
This has to go out of the house and back again,
so I have to drill 2 holes in window-frames.

I'd like to keep the holes as small as possible,
so I am wondering if I can cut the telephone wire, and re-join it,
either just by binding each of the 4 wires together,
or by soldering them.
Would this give a good enough connection for ADSL?

The alternative is to drill 12mm holes to allow the RJ-11 (or RJ-12)
connector through.

I know I could get a crimper to do this,
but I have to do it this weekend,
and don't have access to any sophisticated electronic store.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Change the front on the master socket to an ADSL faceplate with RJ45 & RJ11
sockets.

Run a length of Cat5 from your master socket to the desired location of the
router using one of the twisted pairs as the conductors.

Use a small IDC junc box and short length of RJ11 terminated cable to join
the two, or if you are able, crimp an rj11 plug to the end of the cat5.

Job done.

Tim..