Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default remote control keypad conductivity repair

Commercial products exist. See www.mcmelectronics.com

On Jan 9, 1:27*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 17:40:25 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:06:29 -0800 (PST), Thomas Williams
wrote:

thanks, Jeff. *your post was quite helpful (unlike some of the others
here, I won't mention any names ("Phil, Jamie and Angelo" (at least
the latter made an attempt)) *will try the window defog preparation
first, then later explore the two articles on making your own . . .

Y'er welcome. *It's a common problem. *Incidentally, if you're going
to try making your own graphite conductive paste, don't get the bright
idea of using graphite lock lube. *To be a lube, the particles must be
spherical, which will not touch each other, and therefore not conduct.
What you want are graphite flakes, which will overlap, and therefore
conduct. *Good luck.

Source for guaranteed "flakey" graphite ?

The author of one of the links I previously mentioned uses
* *AGS Extra Fine Graphite
from:
http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProdu...

I have a small 4 oz bottle of graphite in the office I got from an
auto body shop. *They use it for lubing window and lock mechanisms in
the door. *It seems like a lifetime supply.

Doing some more reading, it appears that only some lock lube uses
spherical particles. *Most of the cheap stuff is flake, so I guess
it's probably acceptable to use.

Other sources:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM223947446P
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=flake+lubricating+graphite

Mo
http://www.asbury.com/Natural-Flake-Graphite.html

Spherical Graphite (used in lock lube and Li-Ion batteries:
http://www.hpmsgraphite.com/sphericalgraphite.html
http://www.hpmsgraphite.com

--
Jeff Liebermann * *