Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default remote control keypad conductivity repair

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 17:40:25 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:06:29 -0800 (PST), Thomas Williams
wrote:

thanks, Jeff. your post was quite helpful (unlike some of the others
here, I won't mention any names ("Phil, Jamie and Angelo" (at least
the latter made an attempt)) will try the window defog preparation
first, then later explore the two articles on making your own . . .

Y'er welcome. It's a common problem. Incidentally, if you're going
to try making your own graphite conductive paste, don't get the bright
idea of using graphite lock lube. To be a lube, the particles must be
spherical, which will not touch each other, and therefore not conduct.
What you want are graphite flakes, which will overlap, and therefore
conduct. Good luck.

Source for guaranteed "flakey" graphite ?

The author of one of the links I previously mentioned uses
AGS Extra Fine Graphite
from:
http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=1971

I have a small 4 oz bottle of graphite in the office I got from an
auto body shop. They use it for lubing window and lock mechanisms in
the door. It seems like a lifetime supply.

Doing some more reading, it appears that only some lock lube uses
spherical particles. Most of the cheap stuff is flake, so I guess
it's probably acceptable to use.

Other sources:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM223947446P
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=flake+lubricating+graphite

Mo
http://www.asbury.com/Natural-Flake-Graphite.html

Spherical Graphite (used in lock lube and Li-Ion batteries:
http://www.hpmsgraphite.com/sphericalgraphite.html
http://www.hpmsgraphite.com

--
Jeff Liebermann