Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor Swap

Mill/Drill vs the Drill Press.

I've got a Chinese (all metric) no name mill drill (NNMD) I picked up cheap
recently. Its got better bearings (its not perfect) and less run out than
my Harbor Fright drill press (HFDP). Since 99% of my drilling would fit in
its work envelope I was considering swapping motors on it. Its motor claims
its 3/4HP and the one on my HFDP claims to be 1HP. I might believe it too.
I have never stopped the motor. I have slipped tapers (not with the new
taper and chuck), slipped belts, twisted drill bits, and spun work pieces
dangerously, but I am inclined to believe its really a 1HP motor.

Since the NNMD appears to be a better machine in general I was considering
swapping the motors and moving the HFDP to an out of the way corner. I
would not get rid of it completely for those wide pieces that would be
awkward to clamp down on the NNMD.

Any reason not to?

I would add that I have not stopped or over loaded the motor on the NNMD yet
either, but than I have not had it very long, and I don't have what I want
for a common material holding fixture on it yet to prevent drilling into the
table.