Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor Swap

Mill/Drill vs the Drill Press.

I've got a Chinese (all metric) no name mill drill (NNMD) I picked up cheap
recently. Its got better bearings (its not perfect) and less run out than
my Harbor Fright drill press (HFDP). Since 99% of my drilling would fit in
its work envelope I was considering swapping motors on it. Its motor claims
its 3/4HP and the one on my HFDP claims to be 1HP. I might believe it too.
I have never stopped the motor. I have slipped tapers (not with the new
taper and chuck), slipped belts, twisted drill bits, and spun work pieces
dangerously, but I am inclined to believe its really a 1HP motor.

Since the NNMD appears to be a better machine in general I was considering
swapping the motors and moving the HFDP to an out of the way corner. I
would not get rid of it completely for those wide pieces that would be
awkward to clamp down on the NNMD.

Any reason not to?

I would add that I have not stopped or over loaded the motor on the NNMD yet
either, but than I have not had it very long, and I don't have what I want
for a common material holding fixture on it yet to prevent drilling into the
table.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you haven't stalled the no name machine's motor either, why swap at
all? I like machines were all the parts are happy with eachother. If
you get to the point where the motor won't do the job, then maybe switch.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So both motors were made in China? Put the best one on the machine that
you'll be using the most.

Generally, if the Chinese motors are going to fail quickly, they fail due to
a bad start capacitor, or poor quality centrifugal switch. Eventually one of
these items will fail.

The recent Chinese motors don't usually burn up, but some have.. because
they almost never have an internal thermal protector (~25 cents US, in their
economy), but better quality motors almost always do (conforming to various
standards for motors).

So, it's not a good idea to leave them operating for long periods (under
load) while unattended.

Adding a thermal protector isn't complicated.. it can be selected to trip by
the temp of the exaust-side airstream.. which in turn, can open a relay to
stop the motor on heavy duty motors.

Adding a properly selected current-trip motor protector (to any motor) will
add additional protection in the event of a rapid overload/jam, which a
thermal protector can't protect against.

--
WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

ZIP drive to swap... Dave August Metalworking 42 June 4th 08 01:40 PM
battery hot swap. JakTheHammer Electronics Repair 1 February 26th 08 10:24 PM
Let's swap my 3HPDelta saw motor for your 1-1/2HP [email protected] Woodworking 2 October 15th 07 03:10 AM
Boiler swap? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 34 June 10th 07 03:05 PM
Collet Swap John Martin Metalworking 0 November 28th 05 09:49 AM