Posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default OT, more than likely...

harry wrote:

You're dead right there. I did best by upsizing when prices were down
and downsizing when prices were up. I have done up five houses (wife
and self )only in my spare time. It always cost more than you think.
I made most just out of the housing bubble not the work I put in. But
you have to star somewhere.

We've gone through the same number of "fixer uppers". Sold up at the
depth of the last recesssion and bought the current pile for a huge
discount because no one could see past the neglect.

I think the thing is to see potential where no-one else can. And to
see solutions to glaring problems.

Yep, and in general providing that it's structurally sound fixing up is
a good option. Where it goes wrong IMO is when people ignore the basics
and start on the decoration or when they either don't have the
experience to do their own assessment or where they won't pay a
professional to do it.