Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Charging Battery

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 14:49:32 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:45:39 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 1/8/2011 11:20 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 08:58:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I can easily imagine exploding a golf cart battery. They
need a LOT of amperage to charge in a reasonable time. It
would be ideal for them to charge at about 5 amps for three
or four days. But no golf course is going to want a cart to
be idle for three days. So, they get higher amperage rate
chargers, and hydrogen vapor.

Typical golf cart chargers put about 18-20a into the battery. That is
pretty modest compared to a car and about what you get from a big
outboard.

Are you talking about an electric golf cart with a bank of about 6
batteries or a gas or propane one with one battery to start the engine?

If it's an electric cart, are you saying 18 to 20 amps into each battery
or to the whole bank of batteries?

I am talking about an electric.
The charger feeds the bank but they are in series so Mr Kickoffs says
they all see the 18-20a. These can be 36v or 48v

Some charge a lot higher than 20 amps. My 36 volt charger is capable
of 35 and draws about 12 amps under full load.