Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Charging Battery

hello everyone,

I just bought a used generator (excellent shape) with elec. start.

What I'd like to know is ...is it necessary to disconnect either of
the cables to the battery to charge it with a trickle charger?

Thank you for advice and information.

J0hn
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2011 11:04 PM, SirJohn wrote:

hello everyone,

I just bought a used generator (excellent shape) with elec. start.

What I'd like to know is ...is it necessary to disconnect either of
the cables to the battery to charge it with a trickle charger?

Thank you for advice and information.

J0hn

Is it a portable like a contractors genset or is it a fixed standby
generator?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't disconnect the battery cables on mine (Generac GP7500) when the
trickle charger is on it.
However, I do disconnect the charger when I do the weekly test run.

"SirJohn" wrote in message

hello everyone,

I just bought a used generator (excellent shape) with elec. start.

What I'd like to know is ...is it necessary to disconnect either of
the cables to the battery to charge it with a trickle charger?

Thank you for advice and information.

J0hn

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:04:26 -0800 (PST), SirJohn
wrote:

hello everyone,

I just bought a used generator (excellent shape) with elec. start.

What I'd like to know is ...is it necessary to disconnect either of
the cables to the battery to charge it with a trickle charger?

No.

You didn't ask, but I see warnings about the hydrogen gas that's
created when a battery is charged. Especially if it run down and
needs a lot of charging and especially if it is in a closed in space.
And the warnings are about sparks from the charger when the charger is
connected or disconnected. It helps to turn off the charger when
doing this.

Despite my posting, AFAIK it's incredibly rarre for a fire to start,
or an explosion, from this hydrogen gas, but people here or googling
can tell us more.

I certainly don't worry about it.

Thank you for advice and information.

J0hn

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

J0hn- Hide quoted text -

I've seen batteries explode. It's pretty spectacular. Pieces of case
20 ft away. Never seen any injuries other than a little acid burns
and ruined clothes. Typically from people disconnecting the charger
while it was still on. I avert my face when disconnecting or
connecting the last lead. It's more likely to happen inside a garage
or other enclosed space than outside. Hydrogen is pretty light and
given a chance it goes away quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

given a chance it goes away quickly.- Hide quoted text -

So, inside a garage, the hygrogen filled up the whole place? Must
have
been one hell of an explosion.

For the OP, I've yet to see a starting battery that couldn't be
charged with a slow charger
while still connected to the engine without doing damage. People
routinely leave
battery tenders hooked up to all kinds of engines in everything from
cars to generators
without disconnecting the batteries. That's what I would use to keep
it charged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never seen a battery explode that had the caps on. For some reason,
possibly due to an old mechanics tale, many folks will remove the caps
when a battery is charging. The idiot who uses a cigarette lighter to
see down into the battery to check the electrolyte level is the usually
the victim/cause of a battery explosion. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The idiot who uses a cigarette lighter to
see down into the battery to check the electrolyte level is the usually
the victim/cause of a battery explosion. :-)

I tried to do that, but by the time I ran around to the front of the car
with the lighter, it had stopped glowing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2011 8:40 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
The Daring wrote:

The idiot who uses a cigarette lighter to
see down into the battery to check the electrolyte level is the usually
the victim/cause of a battery explosion. :-)

I tried to do that, but by the time I ran around to the front of the car
with the lighter, it had stopped glowing.

You have infrared vision? :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2011 9:49 AM, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My wife maintains about 80 golf carts at the country club she manages.
They have had a few battery explosions. The caps were always on and it
was always caused by something sparking while they were on the
charger.

That's a little different situation than a single battery. I imagine
that a little ventilation could prevent a high concentration of hydrogen
from occurring. The real expert on lead acid batteries is
Ma Bell because the phone company uses more lead acid batteries than
anyone else. Well, there are the U-boats...... :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The one exploding battery I was near. The old farmer was
using 12 volt boost setting on a BIG charger, to try and
charge a battery on a Gehl Skid Steer. I was on the other
side of the machine, out of sight of the battery. I could
smell the sulfuric acid, he was over charginig the battery
very badly. He moved one of the clamps while the charger was
still delivering too much amperage for the situation. It
sounded like firing a short barrel revolver, just one shot.

I wasn't sure what went wrong. Finally occured to me that
he'd exploded the battery. He said "get some water for my
eyes!" I grabbed hold of him, and guided him into the house
so he could rinse his eyes at the sink.

I had a thought that I should wash my coat in hot water and
baking soda. I didn't. But should have. The next day, the
front of my cloth coat disintigrated. I still have the coat.
I ought to throw it away, but it's a heck of a memory.

I'm reasonably sure the caps were on the cells. I've renamed
that charger setting to "12 volt blast". Instead of boost. I
try not to ever adjust a clamp while the charger is plugged
in. Safer, that way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can easily imagine exploding a golf cart battery. They
need a LOT of amperage to charge in a reasonable time. It
would be ideal for them to charge at about 5 amps for three
or four days. But no golf course is going to want a cart to
be idle for three days. So, they get higher amperage rate
chargers, and hydrogen vapor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

My wife maintains about 80 golf carts at the country club
she manages.
They have had a few battery explosions. The caps were always
on and it
was always caused by something sparking while they were on
the
charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. Considering that most golf is performed
in temperate and pleasant weather, it would make
sense to put a couple of fans in the cart barn.
Ridge vent, to draw the vapors out, also. Maybe
a small fan blowing on each cart.

One time I got a call to repair an ice merchandiser
in a barn at a golf course. It was a warm day, and
they were using a lot of ice in the kitchen, and for
the golfers. It was HOT in that barn, they really
needed some kind of attic vent. Helped explain
why the ice was melting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

So, inside a garage, the hygrogen filled up the whole
place? Must
have
been one hell of an explosion.

It must be that there's no breeze inside, so there isn't
that much
hydrogen but it hasnt' spread out yet.

We should dye all the hydrogen blue. Then it would be
easier to
figure out where it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 16:24:54 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 1/8/2011 2:49 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:45:39 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 1/8/2011 11:20 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 08:58:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I can easily imagine exploding a golf cart battery. They
need a LOT of amperage to charge in a reasonable time. It
would be ideal for them to charge at about 5 amps for three
or four days. But no golf course is going to want a cart to
be idle for three days. So, they get higher amperage rate
chargers, and hydrogen vapor.

Typical golf cart chargers put about 18-20a into the battery. That is
pretty modest compared to a car and about what you get from a big
outboard.

Are you talking about an electric golf cart with a bank of about 6
batteries or a gas or propane one with one battery to start the engine?

If it's an electric cart, are you saying 18 to 20 amps into each battery
or to the whole bank of batteries?

I am talking about an electric.
The charger feeds the bank but they are in series so Mr Kickoffs says
they all see the 18-20a. These can be 36v or 48v

OK, that makes sense. And yes if the charger shows 18 amps, that's 18
amps at each battery. I was thinking they were parallel, that would
need a lot more current. I never worked on a golf cart, mostly just
curious. Now I know a little bit about them.

My friend manages a ministorage. Her golf cart is gasoline, but the
other location, a couple hundred yards down the road, has an electric
one. I finally got to see how they vary. They're just like you guys
say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/8/2011 2:49 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:45:39 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Years ago a friend of mine had a gasoline golf cart just for riding
around their property. They told me to take it for a ride so I got in
and looked. And I looked and looked and asked them how to start it.
They all (their was a party going on) told me to step on the gas. I
said "I see the gas pedal but where do I start it?" Back and forth a
couple times until I finally stepped on the gas, the motor started and I
was cruising. I also found out that many of them run the engine the
opposite way for reverse. Weird little machines.

Battery charging pebe UK diy 28 January 18th 10 11:33 AM
battery charging etc Fray Bentos UK diy 7 September 29th 06 09:29 PM
li-ion battery charging [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 10th 06 05:35 AM
battery charging Mike Muderick Electronics Repair 4 February 15th 05 11:50 PM
O.T. Battery Charging Jimbo Metalworking 5 November 10th 03 07:41 AM