Hitch Lock

Default Towbar coupling queries

Lobster wrote:

Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite
figure out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to
be jammed, and likewise the bit which should engage under the
towball; this won't spring open and close around the ball as I lower
the coupling over the ball. I can't see anything obviously wrong or
broken but really haven't a clue what I'm looking for (or what it
should look like!) . I know this is a bit lame, but any ideas?

Not knowing anything about towbars I'm tempted to just buy a
replacement coupling anyway, to err on the safe side. Are these
things a standard fitting? Mine is an SPP brand (Polish?) and is
attached to the chassis by two large bolts on what looks like 900mm
or 3.5" centres... is this standard, ie can I order any brand?

Thanks
David

I think there are several standard-ish sizes of hitch fixings - so you
should hopefully get one to fit. I think that they're rated in terms of the
overall trailer weight for which they're designed - so you need to get one
appropriate to your weight of trailer.

I presume that your bolts are at 90mm centres - 900mm would be a bit big?!

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock