Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Charging Battery

The one exploding battery I was near. The old farmer was
using 12 volt boost setting on a BIG charger, to try and
charge a battery on a Gehl Skid Steer. I was on the other
side of the machine, out of sight of the battery. I could
smell the sulfuric acid, he was over charginig the battery
very badly. He moved one of the clamps while the charger was
still delivering too much amperage for the situation. It
sounded like firing a short barrel revolver, just one shot.

I wasn't sure what went wrong. Finally occured to me that
he'd exploded the battery. He said "get some water for my
eyes!" I grabbed hold of him, and guided him into the house
so he could rinse his eyes at the sink.

I had a thought that I should wash my coat in hot water and
baking soda. I didn't. But should have. The next day, the
front of my cloth coat disintigrated. I still have the coat.
I ought to throw it away, but it's a heck of a memory.

I'm reasonably sure the caps were on the cells. I've renamed
that charger setting to "12 volt blast". Instead of boost. I
try not to ever adjust a clamp while the charger is plugged
in. Safer, that way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message

I've seen batteries explode. It's pretty spectacular.
Pieces of case
20 ft away. Never seen any injuries other than a little
acid burns
and ruined clothes. Typically from people disconnecting
the charger
while it was still on. I avert my face when disconnecting
or
connecting the last lead. It's more likely to happen
inside a garage
or other enclosed space than outside. Hydrogen is pretty
light and
given a chance it goes away quickly.

I've never seen a battery explode that had the caps on. For
some reason,
possibly due to an old mechanics tale, many folks will
remove the caps
when a battery is charging. The idiot who uses a cigarette
lighter to
see down into the battery to check the electrolyte level is
the usually
the victim/cause of a battery explosion. :-)

TDD