Lobster

Default Towbar coupling queries

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite

figure
out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be jammed,

and
likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't

spring
open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball. I
can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue

what
I'm looking for (or what it should look like!) . I know this is a bit

lame,
but any ideas?

I presume it has been working and suddenly stopped?

My small trailer hitch has a trigger which locks the coupling in the

'open'
position - when you hitch up you release the trigger and the hitch snaps
shut, in theory locking it onto the towball on the car.

Yes to all the above!

If this is your setup, sounds as though the trigger is jammed.

Replacement may be on the cards - in which case approach the trailer
manufacturere in the first instance.

Trouble is, it was a bespoke one, made by someone quite a distance away, so
I want to buy a replacement coupling and fit it myself, if that's what's
called for.

David