Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Charging Battery

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 05:12:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I've seen batteries explode. *It's pretty spectacular. *Pieces of case
20 ft away. *Never seen any injuries other than a little acid burns
and ruined clothes. *Typically from people disconnecting the charger
while it was still on. *I avert my face when disconnecting or
connecting the last lead. *It's more likely to happen inside a garage
or other enclosed space than outside. *Hydrogen is pretty light and
given a chance it goes away quickly.- Hide quoted text -

So, inside a garage, the hygrogen filled up the whole place? Must
have
been one hell of an explosion.

It must be that there's no breeze inside, so there isn't that much
hydrogen but it hasnt' spread out yet.

We should dye all the hydrogen blue. Then it would be easier to
figure out where it is.

For the OP, I've yet to see a starting battery that couldn't be
charged with a slow charger
while still connected to the engine without doing damage. People
routinely leave
battery tenders hooked up to all kinds of engines in everything from
cars to generators
without disconnecting the batteries. That's what I would use to keep
it charged.