Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Charging Battery

On Jan 7, 7:39*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:04:26 -0800 (PST), SirJohn

wrote:

hello everyone,

I just bought a used generator (excellent shape) with elec. start.

What I'd like to know is ...is it necessary to disconnect either of
the cables to the battery to charge it with a trickle charger?

No.

You didn't ask, but I see warnings about the hydrogen gas that's
created when a battery is charged. *Especially if it run down and
needs a lot of charging and especially if it is in a closed in space.
And the warnings are about sparks from the charger when the charger is
connected or disconnected. *It helps to turn off the charger when
doing this.

Despite my posting, AFAIK it's incredibly rarre for a fire to start,
or an explosion, from this hydrogen gas, but people here or googling
can tell us more.

I certainly don't worry about it. *

Thank you for advice and information.

J0hn- Hide quoted text -

I've seen batteries explode. It's pretty spectacular. Pieces of case
20 ft away. Never seen any injuries other than a little acid burns
and ruined clothes. Typically from people disconnecting the charger
while it was still on. I avert my face when disconnecting or
connecting the last lead. It's more likely to happen inside a garage
or other enclosed space than outside. Hydrogen is pretty light and
given a chance it goes away quickly.