Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Rain Barrel Filled with Ground Water?

On 1/6/2011 8:06 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 6, 3:32 am, wrote:
On Jan 5, 7:44 pm, David wrote:

On 1/5/2011 10:19 AM harry spake thus:

On Jan 5, 5:56 pm, wrote:

I know its winter. But being retired and with idle thoughts I am
looking at my neighbor's rain barrel that during the summer
collects rain runoff from his roof to water his plants. Our houses
in the development have basements with sump pumps. My own sump pump
goes off more regularly than it rains around here in the summer.
Since the sump collects clean ground water, is it okay to divert
that water to a rain barrel? Seems a better idea than dumping and
wasting that water into the storm sewers.

No reason why not. The water from my driveway runs into an underground
tank I use to water the garden.

So you don't mind a little oil in your garden soil, mixed in with just a
dollop, say, of transmission fluid, brake fluid or whatever?

To answer the OP's question, it would be a matter of what's in that sump
water. Easy to speculate that it's OK, but just as easy to guess that
there might be stuff in the soil, and therefore the water, that you
might not want in the soil you're watering. (Like E. coli?)

You might think about capturing some sump water and having it tested.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

There is no oil on my driveway. It's concrete blocks, it would be
visible. Cars here don't leak oil any more in any case.
What stuff might there be in the soil?- Hide quoted text -

Used to you could always spot a brit car because of the oil patch it
left behind. Don't even get started on their automotive elecrical
systems.

You got something against smoke filled wires? My 70 MGB always put me
in touch with the road, if it was cold and rainy outside, it was cold
and rainy inside.

Jeff