Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Semi precision grinding.

On 2011-01-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 18:39:36 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

Have not used a horizontal mill since 1977! Come to think of it I can not
recall even seeing a (manual) horizontal any where in the past 20 years. Big
CNC one I saw at an auction a few years back lacked the long arbor I remember
from school though one was probably available.

While I've got a small manual horizontal mill -- the Nichols,
appropriately enough. :-)

But another idea to consider for the future. Will start keeping my eye out for
a cheap horizontal mill.

You really want to take the idea, but not the horizontal mill.
The spindle speeds are not fast enough for clean woodwork.

Ah, good point. Plus either a jointer or a gang saw can easily be built into an
existing table and not take up any additional room.

(snips)

We are putting 4" carbide tipped slotting saws on the arbors, with
ground spacers between them..sometimes we have (30) .015 saws .125"
apart all running on an arbor at 3600 rpm.

While I think that he needs probably 0.125" saws, and spacers of
0.375" for a half inch center to center spacing. (Or do the bats prefer
closer groove spacing?)

Not sure if they prefer it but I can see no reason they would dislike having
them closer. I think that most others in the past have stopped at 'close
enough' because of the excessive labor of spacing them closer. May ask about
this on the bat house forum.
--
William