Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Electricital question

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 01/05/2011 09:58 PM, Steve B wrote:
I just got a BIG combo oven and microwave from my daughter. She
said she
had not used the microwave for a year and a half, and my son in law
isn't
mechanically inclined, so they got a new one. Oven, MW combo and
all.

I pulled the panels and looked for the obvious. The fuse was quite
corroded. I pulled it, polished the ends. It's a small Buss type
fuse.
Cleaned the contacts, too. Reassembled.

Had to trim the door hooks a slight tad, too to get it to release
when you
push the release bar, but works like a charm now.

I have to put a plug on it tomorrow, and test, don't know if that
solved the
problem. Could the corroded fuse on the end have caused it to stop
conducting electricity? I did a continuity check on it using a 9v.
battery
and tester, and the reading was right at 9v., so I think the fuse
is good.

Just wondering. Don't know what got in there to cause the
terminals and
fuse ends to corrode. Hope it works tomorrow when I fire it up.

It could have corroded and made things not work, it could have
corroded because the oven wasn't in service. It's hard to tell.

Fire it up, and hope you don't _really_ 'fire' it up. That's what
I'd do.

--

Tim Wescott

After cleaning and to foreclose the notion of some corrosive
environment, I've lightly put
a protective coating of clear elastomeric caulk around the in-place
fuse, being careful not to infiltrate
the contact. No problems have arrived to deter this approach so far.
If necessary, later caulk removal
should be doable.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey