Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Electricital question

I just got a BIG combo oven and microwave from my daughter. She said she
had not used the microwave for a year and a half, and my son in law isn't
mechanically inclined, so they got a new one. Oven, MW combo and all.

I pulled the panels and looked for the obvious. The fuse was quite
corroded. I pulled it, polished the ends. It's a small Buss type fuse.
Cleaned the contacts, too. Reassembled.

Had to trim the door hooks a slight tad, too to get it to release when you
push the release bar, but works like a charm now.

I have to put a plug on it tomorrow, and test, don't know if that solved the
problem. Could the corroded fuse on the end have caused it to stop
conducting electricity? I did a continuity check on it using a 9v. battery
and tester, and the reading was right at 9v., so I think the fuse is good.

Just wondering. Don't know what got in there to cause the terminals and
fuse ends to corrode. Hope it works tomorrow when I fire it up.

Steve