Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lewis Hartswick Lewis Hartswick is offline

Default Army manuals

On 2011-01-03, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus17686 wrote:
So, does anyone know where I can buy a good DVD set with army manuals,
not encrypted or anything.

Ads for them abound, but I wanted to know some personal
recommendations. I can search google and ebay myself.

I have sitting here a Navships 91424(A)
Instruction Book
for
RADIAC SET
AN/PDR-27A

The Kelley-Koett Instrument Company
Cincinnati, Ohio

Aha! A Geiger Counter (or similar). I wonder whether that is
the one which I have. Five decade ranges (IIRC), Hand-held probe for
the more sensitive ranges, internal tube for the less sensitive ranges.
Under the handle is a battery compartment for quite a few batteries.
Two size F cells (longer and a bit fatter than the standard D cells), a
15V battery, a 135V battery (which I made an adaptor to take two of the
45V snap contact batteries years ago, back when they were affordable.:-)

I really ought to make a DC-DC converter to run from
rechargeable cells and produce all the needed voltages. Next time I
need it, perhaps?

It came in a Navy storage box, with spares for both Geiger tubes
and a test/calibration rod of Lucite with a radioactive source embedded
in one end (painted a dayglow red).

I eventually had to replace the coiled cord to the probe with a
RG-58 cable with BNCs on each end, and mount female BNCs on the box and
the probe to accept those.

Wherever it is -- I still have the manual with it -- from back
when manuals included schematics. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Don I just looked at the battery list and it has a 135 V
JAN type BA-416U
a 22.5V JAN type BA-413U
and 2 1.5V JAN type BA-401U
You're right about the two detectors. So you don't
want another copy I guess.
Anyone else?
...lew...