Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Army manuals

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2011-01-03, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus17686 wrote:
So, does anyone know where I can buy a good DVD set with army manuals,
not encrypted or anything.

Ads for them abound, but I wanted to know some personal
recommendations. I can search google and ebay myself.

I have sitting here a Navships 91424(A)
Instruction Book
for
RADIAC SET
AN/PDR-27A

The Kelley-Koett Instrument Company
Cincinnati, Ohio

Aha! A Geiger Counter (or similar). I wonder whether that is
the one which I have. Five decade ranges (IIRC), Hand-held probe for
the more sensitive ranges, internal tube for the less sensitive ranges.
Under the handle is a battery compartment for quite a few batteries.
Two size F cells (longer and a bit fatter than the standard D cells), a
15V battery, a 135V battery (which I made an adaptor to take two of the
45V snap contact batteries years ago, back when they were affordable.:-)

I really ought to make a DC-DC converter to run from
rechargeable cells and produce all the needed voltages. Next time I
need it, perhaps?

It came in a Navy storage box, with spares for both Geiger tubes
and a test/calibration rod of Lucite with a radioactive source embedded
in one end (painted a dayglow red).

I eventually had to replace the coiled cord to the probe with a
RG-58 cable with BNCs on each end, and mount female BNCs on the box and
the probe to accept those.

Wherever it is -- I still have the manual with it -- from back
when manuals included schematics. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Don I just looked at the battery list and it has a 135 V
JAN type BA-416U
a 22.5V JAN type BA-413U
and 2 1.5V JAN type BA-401U
You're right about the two detectors. So you don't
want another copy I guess.
Anyone else?
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-03, Lewis Hartswick wrote:

[ ... ]

RADIAC SET
AN/PDR-27A

[ ... ]

Aha! A Geiger Counter (or similar). I wonder whether that is
the one which I have. Five decade ranges (IIRC), Hand-held probe for
the more sensitive ranges, internal tube for the less sensitive ranges.
Under the handle is a battery compartment for quite a few batteries.
Two size F cells (longer and a bit fatter than the standard D cells), a
15V battery, a 135V battery (which I made an adaptor to take two of the
45V snap contact batteries years ago, back when they were affordable.:-)

Sorry -- that should have been two of the 67-1/2V snap contact
batteries -- what you need to make 135V.

[ ... ]

Don I just looked at the battery list and it has a 135 V
JAN type BA-416U

And to make an adaptor for the to 67-1/2V batteries you need to
rivet two sets of snaps to some G-10 glass epoxy (or one of the later
replacements) to accept both batteries, and then a right angle to a meal
plate with an octal socket with an extra keyway filed into it to match
the weird plug (designed to prevent plugging into some other voltage
battery, I guess).

a 22.5V JAN type BA-413U

I mis-remembered the voltage of this one. It has been a while
since I last used it. (To be honest, I'm not quite sure where itis
at present. :-)

and 2 1.5V JAN type BA-401U

These I used to get by stripping apart either 1-1/2V or 6V
square lantern batteries -- but they may have something totally
different inside these days.

You're right about the two detectors. So you don't
want another copy I guess.

Depends. Having a second one would make me feel better about
making a DC-DC converter and running it off more readily available
rechargeable batteries instead.

The calibration/test rods have been through several half-lives
by now, so there might not be much to see there. :-)

What were you asking for it?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
What were you asking for it?

Enjoy,
DoN.

It's the manual Don. :-) not the device.
I told iggy he could start the collection with this
manual.
Sorry. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-06, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
What were you asking for it?

Enjoy,
DoN.

It's the manual Don. :-) not the device.
I told iggy he could start the collection with this
manual.

O.K. Not a problem. I assumed that the manual was still with
the device.

Enjoy,
DoN.