Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Courtney David Courtney is offline

Default Sorta on topic... 110V devices in 220V countries

wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 14:09:00 -0600, "David Courtney"
wrote:

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I'm going over to Africa shortly to work on a project there.

I've been there before. Most of our small devices such as battery
chargers, etc. all say clearly that they will run on 110V OR 220V
sources
so we generally have no problems. However... I now have around 30
small
devices to plug in nightly and only two receptacles at our location.

I haven't found a power strip that is rated for 110/220V yet - and even
simple splitters aren't rated for that.

I *think* a simple splitter (no surge protection, etc) should work but
I'm
curious if anyone has done such a thing? It's all about the wiring
inside
and these things are generally solid blocks of formed plastic with
electrical connectors inside...

Thoughts? Solutions? Random chastisements?

The reason this is somewhat on topic is because we will be over there
rebuilding a small village medical center. Our infrastructure is a
steel
shipping container that we have acquired. It will be modified to become
building of sorts. I'll also be gathering a water sample to test as
their
water there seems to have a strange issue. It comes out clear but
within
a little while, turns red in color. ...So while they do have a well,
they
don't have fresh water yet.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

I don't know the situation regarding shipping, fuel availability,
etc...
but NorthernTool had 1000w generators on sale for $129 last time I was
there. For that much, you could just leave it when you leave. They run 5
hours on a gallon of gas.
For $300 they also had a 900w inverter based generator that's supposed
to be good for powering electronic devices, that run 4 hours on a half
gallon.

In Ghana you would DEFINITELY want a deisel Gasoline is not as easy
to get and is a lot more expensive.

Yeah, I get that... but it still might be a LOT cheaper to find 2 or 3
gallons of gasoline (for a week of charging) than to buy and ship a diesel
generator.