Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS battery life

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:11:27 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:

I put the ES 350's own battery back, also somewhat depleted after
sitting awhile. It's a slightly smaller 3.2AH version. After sitting
overnight, I was able to get it the UPS to stay in ON mode if I
unplugged the UPS from power, then plugged it back in. I roughly
measured nearly 100mA of charge. I tried swapping the other battery, and
it was back to 5mA. I'm considering that battery toast.

Yep, it's dead.

The battery in the one UPS that lasted only 5 minutes has been drained
once or twice before, so has lost capacity from that. I'll get a pair of
batteries to replace both of the ES 725's I have, as both are nearly the
same age.

Also dead.

Favorite UPS battery vendor of the week:
http://www.batterywholesale.com

Now to figure out where to safely recycle these. I have a pair of old
12AH's from another UPS that have been sitting around in addition to the
ones I'll be replacing.

http://www.call2recycle.org
See "drop off locations" on the right side of the page.
Not every location will take SLA batteries, so it's best to ask before
leaving a pile on their doorstep. In general, any place that sells
SLA batteries, will also take them for recycling. Also, nobody wants
a leaking battery so make sure it's not dripping acid.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D