Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default UPS battery life

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote in message
On 01/03/2011 05:14 PM, Andrew Rossmann wrote:
In ,
says...

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 10:01:46 -0600, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:

I have a battery I bought for an APC UPS about 4 years ago. I bought 2,
and used one immediately.

Model number please? I'm curious.

The battery I'm trying to recover is a PowerSonic PS1270. The UPS I want
to put it in (the current battery lasted about 5 minutes) is a Back UPS
ES 725. I'm trying to use an unused ES 350 to charge it for now. It was
up to about 11.1V this morning. I may try the shake thing another poster
mentioned, as a last resort.

Problem is, I buy these things, but then completely forget about them
until I need them!! It's not too big of a deal, as it's just a
convenience to try and keep the Comcast DVR powered up as it can take a
day or two for the program guide to fully reload.

I zapped one of those batteries with a 110 volt welder at 40 amps

More likely to finnish it off than do it any good!

If sulphation makes a battery reluctant to take any charge current; splice a
bridge rectifier into the neutral lead of a 100W table lamp.

This will give it all the voltage it needs to break down the sulphation, as
the battery terminal voltages approaches normal the lamp will get near to
full brightness, when the terminal voltage falls within the normal range you
can move it to a regular charger.

If the lamp trick doesn't get it going, its time to scrap it and buy a new
one.