Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster[_2_] geraldthehamster[_2_] is offline

Default Multi fuel wood burning stoves

On 4 Jan, 11:22, John wrote:
On Jan 3, 9:19*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:

There seems to be a lot of variation in price, for the same
kilowattage. Would anyone care to recommend a make, in the 5-8 kW
range? What is the Miele of multifuel stoves?

Cheers
Richard

A lot will depend on your installation. Do you need a freestanding or
inset stove? What age is your house and what style will match it?
I've had 2 stoves in different houses.
The first was a Clearview. That was great. I used it as my main heat
source and worked it hard. I replaced the usual consumables (door
seal, firebrick liners and a baffle plate) after about 6 years
although some weren't really necessary.
My current stove is a Stovax Riva 55. It''s an inset stove of about
8kW. It needs 2 baffle plates a year and isn't a patch on the
Clearview. I suspect it's built more for style than function.
You say you want 5-8kW. Where do you get this figure? If you look at
the standard calculation used by the majority of suppliers, it simply
uses the room volume to work it out. This ignores insulation levels,
draughts, etc. It also assumes a max achievable temp difference of
only 20C. In other words, that's the best you will get after the
stove's been running for ever. We've been dropping to -10C easily
recently. I installed a stove that was double the calculated room
value. Admittedly it was into a 250 year old house but I never
regretted going up in size. You can always turn it down or do what I
did and open the doors to the rest of the house.

John

I calculated the value needed for the room at about 2 1/2 kW, but the
room is open to the hall and has the stairs in it as well, so I want
the heat to heat more than just the room that the stove will be in.

Cheers
Richard