Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS battery life

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:48:13 -0600, "David"
wrote:

I have been following this thread for awhile. Many have talked
about sulfated cells and you initially said the charging current
was less than 10 mA. Given the low battery terminal voltage, I
doubt the problem is a sulfated battery since sulfation leads to
a high impedance battery and high terminal voltage while
charging. I would suspect a problem with the charging circuitry
in the 'spare' UPS you are using for charging. The current should
be closer to 1A until the voltage rises some more. At ~13.6 volts
the current should drop off markedly.

http://www.bulldog-battery.com/PDF%20Files/sulphated%20batteries.pdf
Most cases of sulphation are caused by:
- UNDER CHARGING OR NEGLECT OF EQUALIZING CHARGE
- STANDING IN A PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY DISCHARGED CONDITION
- LOW ELECTROLYTE
- ADDING ACID
- HIGH SPECIFIC GRAVITY

Note that undercharging is a common cause of sulfation.
10ma qualifies as undercharging.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D