Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS battery life

Jeffrey Angus wrote:

On 1/3/2011 8:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per PeterD:
Automotive batteries are not well suited to long, continous drains
that the UPS would require. Using a deep cycle battery (such as a
trolling battery, or an RV battery, would work, but not optimal.)

Is that to say with the first power outage and running the
battery to near-exhaustion (assuming there is a means to control
how far down it goes) that the battery would be damaged?

In a word, possibly.

The construction of the plates in automotive vs marine (RV)
batteries are different. The Automotive battery is designed
to deliver large amount so f current for short periods of
time.

The marine batteries are designed to for a long term steady
and considerably lower) current draw.

The 12V batteries made for CATV UPS duty are made for high current
and deep cycle loads.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!