Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Canon A420 camera

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
My problem with buying a new camera is that I may not be able to get a
suitable card reader which works with my current Mac OS 8.6 system - and
I cannot change the OS because all my business software runs on it.

Can you be more specific? That would place it as a late Power Mac, or an early
G3.

The system runs on a collection of beige G3s linked by Appletalk. The
main business workhorse is ClarisWorks 4.

This is going to become more and more of a problem, as your 10 year old plus
computer starts to fail and parts are no longer available. Besides keeping
lots of backups, you should investigate either alternate hardware or spares.

I have a shed full of spares and a lot of backup drives.

Cost of full refurbishement, which I did not do, would have been a $10
battery, and a new(er) floppy drive.

You can use a stack of much cheaper coin cells if you machine up a brass
slug to fill the remaining space in the battery holder. These G3s have
ATA drives as well as the original SCSI ones. so replacements are no
problem.

Note that there is a program called SheepShaver that will run on a modern
Mac and let you boot MacOS in a "virtual machine". You can boot your OS 8.6
under it and run your software.

I do have an Intel iMac which would take Sheepshaver, but I have been
told it still wouldn't allow me too use Pub&Sub, which is what links all
my sales software together. No only that, but the iMac won't work on an
Appletalk network, in the past I have had to transfer files to it using
FTP. It sits in a corner, switched off and effectively useless, while
the G3s do most of the work.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk