Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Canon A420 camera

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
My problem with buying a new camera is that I may not be able to get a
suitable card reader which works with my current Mac OS 8.6 system - and
I cannot change the OS because all my business software runs on it.

Can you be more specific? That would place it as a late Power Mac, or an early
G3.

This is going to become more and more of a problem, as your 10 year old plus
computer starts to fail and parts are no longer available. Besides keeping
lots of backups, you should investigate either alternate hardware or spares.

I was given a beige G3 the other day, cleaned it up and gave it to a friend
who uses one for his daily writing. His is starting to fail and now he has a
"hot spare". The cost was zero to him, and the owner was glad to see it not
end up in the recycle bin.

Cost of full refurbishement, which I did not do, would have been a $10
battery, and a new(er) floppy drive. Most just need to be taken apart, cleaned
and lubricated, but this one has an electrical problem too, so I would have
to get one from another less functional computer.

I do this as a "good deed" and I'm sure you could find someone who would be
able to help you in your area.

Note that there is a program called SheepShaver that will run on a modern
Mac and let you boot MacOS in a "virtual machine". You can boot your OS 8.6
under it and run your software.

While you are asking around for spares, you may want to ask about that too.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.