Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default MOT Fail

On Jan 3, 9:45 am, "Tinkerer"
wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in ...

Took the handyvan (Renault Kangoo) in for an MOT Friday. Failed on a
few minor points, one of which was "Nearside rear position lamp
adversly affected by the operation of another lamp". Says the same
for the nearside.

Took the clusters off today (the only simple thing to do on a Kangoo -
bloody French)

No obvious fault, remade the earth connection to bare metal, WD40
liberally applied.

SWMBO returned from shopping so I got her to operate brake pedals,
switches etc while I watched.

The van has the sort of rear lights where the side light just gets
brighter when you push the brake pedel - e.g. it isn't a seperate
brake light.

I can't see a thing wrong. Couldn't check beforehand tho cos I was
alone.

I assume "Nearside rear position lamp" means 'sidelight' in plain
English?

The sidelights work - so I can't imagine what they are on about? I
though vehicle lights either worked or didn't?

The commonest problem I have come across with dual filament bulbs is where
one filament has broken and welded itself to the other. Thus when the
brake pedal is pressed, current flows from the brake light circuit into the
side light circuit. I have experienced this at least a dozen times over
the years and it certainly fits the description of "Nearside rear position
lamp adversly affected by the operation of another lamp".
--
Tinkerer

also I don't think anyone has mentioned that it is possible to force a
stop/tail bulb in the socket the "wrong" way around - thus making the
larger/brighter brake filament to work as tail light and vice
versa....

I see it regularly enough in provincial towns, rarely on motorways...

would that suit the tester's fault description?

Jim K