Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default UPS battery life

On 1/2/2011 9:41 AM, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 1/2/2011 10:01 AM, Andrew Rossmann wrote:
I have a battery I bought for an APC UPS about 4 years ago.
I bought 2, and used one immediately.

There's a reason alarm companies change the sealed lead
acid batteries annually. Typical life on them is about
2 years. 4 years on the shelf is well, not good.

Keeping them charged up at all times is the only way to
keep them (or any lead cell) happy and useful.

You can also lower the specific gravity of the cells
to prolong life. Of course, only applies to *wet* cells.