Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MOT Fail

Took the handyvan (Renault Kangoo) in for an MOT Friday. Failed on a
few minor points, one of which was "Nearside rear position lamp
adversly affected by the operation of another lamp". Says the same
for the nearside.

Took the clusters off today (the only simple thing to do on a Kangoo -
bloody French)

No obvious fault, remade the earth connection to bare metal, WD40
liberally applied.

SWMBO returned from shopping so I got her to operate brake pedals,
switches etc while I watched.

The van has the sort of rear lights where the side light just gets
brighter when you push the brake pedel - e.g. it isn't a seperate
brake light.

I can't see a thing wrong. Couldn't check beforehand tho cos I was
alone.

I assume "Nearside rear position lamp" means 'sidelight' in plain
English?

The sidelights work - so I can't imagine what they are on about? I
though vehicle lights either worked or didn't?

Dave TMH

As others have said, it's pretty certainly an earthing fault. You need
to make sure that:
1) the light cluster is properly earthed to the bodywork, and
2) the bulb bodies make proper contact with their metal holders

If the earths are not good, you get the sort of problem where a low
powered light (5w sidelight) can be earthed via the filaments of a more
powerful light(21w stop light or direction indicator) instead of
directly, and can appear to be working ok until the brighter lamp is
turned on - whereupon it promptly goes out. Seen it many times -
particularly on trailers.
--
Cheers,
Roger