Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default MOT Fail

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Took the handyvan (Renault Kangoo) in for an MOT Friday. Failed on a
few minor points, one of which was "Nearside rear position lamp
adversly affected by the operation of another lamp". Says the same
for the nearside.

Took the clusters off today (the only simple thing to do on a Kangoo -
bloody French)

No obvious fault, remade the earth connection to bare metal, WD40
liberally applied.

SWMBO returned from shopping so I got her to operate brake pedals,
switches etc while I watched.

The van has the sort of rear lights where the side light just gets
brighter when you push the brake pedel - e.g. it isn't a seperate
brake light.

I can't see a thing wrong. Couldn't check beforehand tho cos I was
alone.

I assume "Nearside rear position lamp" means 'sidelight' in plain
English?

The sidelights work - so I can't imagine what they are on about? I
though vehicle lights either worked or didn't?

Dave TMH

Dave,
I think ' The van has the sort of rear lights where the side light just gets
brighter when you push the brake pedel - e.g. it isn't a seperate
brake light' refers to a double filament bulb.
Check the bulbs, probably twin pole with offset retaining pins so that the
bulb can only fit into the holder one way.
The metal sheath of the bulb acts as earth. One filament for sidelight and
the other for brake.
If both filaments look good, clean the inner recess of the bulbholders and
also the metal sheath of the bulbs. A little bit of emery tape wrapped round
your finger works unless you have summat better.
If that don't work, check all with a tester (but carefully) and preferably
at the nearby multi-connnector.
If these are good then test circuit between each pole and earth, but even
more carefully.
These days of electronics much damage can be done, it doesn't just blow a
fuse any more (
In short, check your bulbs, bulbholders and supplies to them.

Angle grinder not recommended, although..........

HTH
Nick.