Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to repair notched joist (with pic)

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I'm redoing my basement and came across a 2X8 joist that was notched
at some point in the past.It is notched approx It is the last joist
before the outside sill plate. As you can see it is close to the
steel beam. What is the best way to repair it or strengthen it? I was
thinking put another piece of 2X8 next to it, one end resting on the
beam and extending a good 2 feet past the notch, fastening it with
bolts and washers. Any inputs appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Considering you have a tile floor above it and it hasn't cracked I wouldn't
mess with it to much..Glue and lag a couple of sisters if you'll sleep
better and move on...