Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Almost got lucky with the VFD...

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:27:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:50:28 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was just reading the manual for the Mitsubishi VFD in the cabinet on the
Hurco. I got all excited when I found it could be run off of single phase
power, not just 3 phase. It even has a table showing is capacity when
used
with a single phase input. Sadly its not quite enough.

But probably enough to get you started. You may overstress the input
rectifiers and filter caps, but what's the worst that can happen?
You'll shorten it's life and end up with a nfg VFD, which isn't any
worse than no VFD at all. Unless it's new enough to have some resale
value -- what model is it?

Mitsubishi Freqrol - A024 3.7 Kw. Says it can provide 7 amps out on single
pahse 230 in. The motor says 14 amps on the data plate. (Also, my Hurco
manual says this is a 4HP motor, not a 3HP as some have indicated.) Not
particularly new. I was thinking if I ran a cross a medium duty mid size
lathe or a bigger drill press it would make an excellent speed control for
that. I don't think it has a lot of resale value. Of course I don't even
know if it works yet. Time to go borrow a scope and fire it up I guess.

It's not awfully valuable, but not hopelessly obsolete, either. I have
a mix of Mitsu A22x and A52x drives. I believe the A0's came just
before the A2's, ca. 1994. The A2's are nice because they can display
3 parameters simultaneously. The A5's advantage is that the operator
display is easy to remote with an RJ cable.

--
Ned Simmons