Posted to uk.d-i-y
Unbeliever[_2_] Unbeliever[_2_] is offline

Default lights wires 1.5mm or 2.5mm (100 amp maion fuse)

John wrote:
"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
On 01/01/11 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26
: [LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter
leads are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Yes - you're right, I'm wrong.
( I wont do wiring when hungover.)
Looking again I have found what confused me:
bad layout of the page,
The wording about LENGTHS at the bottom of the middle column
in fact follows from the bottom of the lefthand column on Cable
Sizes,, not down from the middle column.
[g]

If you were half competent you would have realised your error as it
would have jumped out as being illogical.

Part "P" was introduced as a result of people dabbling when they are
incompetent.

John,

Part "P" was introduced by John Prescott after being lobbied by the relevant
private bodies who have a financial interest in making sure that a law was
enacted that threw all electrical work their way, along with the UPVc
manufacturers and installers and the makers/suppliers and installers of
combi/condensing boilers - and sod all to do with H&S or the incompetence of
a DiYer [1].

And I'm not inferring that incentives were dangled under noses to get those
laws in!

BTW, have you never made and error or read or taken something out of context
by mistake? I bet you have, and if you say no, then you are telling
porkies!

[1] There are many so-called professionals who are a damn site more
incompetent than any DiYer - and I've seen their work and condemned it.