Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Name That Tool

whit3rd wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:54 am, wrote:

The soil is so saturated that digging 'down' causes
the walls to collapse. The holes aren't getting
deeper, just larger in diameter.

These are gonna be Monster Footings!

Technical fix: you can put a Sonotube type (cardboard)
form in the big hole, to hold a modest charge of concrete.
The hole sides needn't be the concrete form. Packing soil
around the Sonotube can be done before the pour, or
after.

I solved the problem by waiting until the soil had
dried enough to be self supporting. A few scoops more
and I had sufficient depth. It is still wet mud however.

The Sonotube will save on cement once the hole is at depth.
I pay only 3 bucks and change for a 50 lb sack so I'm
not averse to throwing 2 or 2-1/2 sacks per post.

First post is in, aligned straight and level. Now
to wait for the mud to cure the cement!
I think I can do that.

--Winston