Old December 30th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Name That Tool

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800, Winston
wrote:

During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. This is getting
old fast.

I grok that in its entirety.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609.html

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

That would be the rare and wondrous Concrete Magnet, of course.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.

Old December 30th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

The blades are too large. Most often the blades
hang up on the interior of the hole, blocking
access to the chunk. Even if I can surround the
chunk with the blades, the chunk falls out the
bottom at earliest opportunity. I'm looking for
a better 'size match' to the load.

(...)

That would be the rare and wondrous Concrete Magnet, of course.

Difficult to adjust damping factor.

Sometimes small boulders shoot out of the hole
damaging cottages in the neighborhood.

They also eat "D" cells like you wouldn't believe.

--Winston
Old December 30th 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:10:06 -0800, Winston
wrote:

I need something with a higher mechanical
advantage and small jaws that permit waggling
the chunks free of adobe clay soil.

Sorta like a post-hole digger with 2" wide
blades and an adjustable jaw.

My first thought was an appropriate pair of blacksmith tongs, but they
wouldn't cover the gripping range you're looking for. A bit of cutting
and welding on a pair of these might give you what you're looking
for...
http://www.channellock.com/480-BigAZ...Jaw-Plier.aspx

--
Ned Simmons
Old December 30th 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:06:01 -0800, Winston
wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(...)

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

Pole and post setting crews oftentimes will have an oshkosh spoon shovel on
their truck.

That'd work well in loamy soil, I think.
I'm in sticky adobe clay which hangs onto
the chunks, so I need something that actually
hangs on to the chunks so I can waggle them
free. 5:1 or 10:1 mechanical advantage would
really help a lot.

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

Or buy an open/heavy-duty style grabber
http://tinyurl.com/2f5fv47

Old December 30th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:57:08 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

The blades are too large. Most often the blades
hang up on the interior of the hole, blocking
access to the chunk. Even if I can surround the
chunk with the blades, the chunk falls out the
bottom at earliest opportunity. I'm looking for
a better 'size match' to the load.

$5 garage sale PHDs, Cut and grind safe to size, knock down the
handles for lighter weight, Roberta's yer auntie.

Fold one lip up half an inch @ 60 degrees? and cut a bit off the other
side. That'll give you a leverage point for the adobegoo wrestling.

Or just roll your own with 5/8" square tubing and some 1/8" CRS. I may
do that myself, during the winter downtime.

That would be the rare and wondrous Concrete Magnet, of course.

Difficult to adjust damping factor.

Sometimes small boulders shoot out of the hole
damaging cottages in the neighborhood.

What? You don't have a Null Shield on it yet? Silly person.

They also eat "D" cells like you wouldn't believe.

That they do. I'd get a Zephyr replacement battery if I were you.

(Vague "Knight and Day" reference. Wunnerful movie; must see!)

NOTE: From now on, I'm going to ask PHD braggarts if they dig many
holes with 'em. When they give me the weird look, I'll innocently say
"Oh, when you mentioned PHD, you weren't referring to a Post Hole
Digger?"

LJ--not a Piled Higher and Deeper owner.

Old December 30th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 9:57*am, Winston wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

The blades are too large. Most often the blades
hang up on the interior of the hole, blocking
access to the chunk. Even if I can surround the
chunk with the blades, the chunk falls out the
bottom at earliest opportunity. *I'm looking for
a better 'size match' to the load.

--Winston *

Cut one down and bend the ends in??

jsw
Old December 30th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)
What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Super-duper pooper scooper?

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-4346

I need something with a higher mechanical
advantage and small jaws that permit waggling
the chunks free of adobe clay soil.

Sorta like a post-hole digger with 2" wide
blades and an adjustable jaw.

Would flooding the hole soften the clay?

Good Luck!
Rich

Old December 30th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 12:26*am, Winston wrote:
[...]

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. I've never seen a manual one, though. They're
all hydraulically powered.
Old December 30th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Or buy an open/heavy-duty style grabber
http://tinyurl.com/2f5fv47

Bookmarked!

But those'r all 1:1 advantage.
.... and I don't think they'd last long under the
contemplated static + dynamic load.

Think D9 dozer, not Tonka Toy!

Thanks!

--Winston
Old December 30th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

(...)

My first thought was an appropriate pair of blacksmith tongs, but they
wouldn't cover the gripping range you're looking for. A bit of cutting
and welding on a pair of these might give you what you're looking
for...
http://www.channellock.com/480-BigAZ...Jaw-Plier.aspx

Two Great Minds, Ned.

I was contemplating the exact thing, with
Sch. 40 pipe sliced diagonally to be used
as blades.

Thanks!

--Winston