Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Name That Tool

On Dec 30, 3:59*pm, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

Hmmm.... * I looked thru some patents too and came up with this:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=6824181
I'm not sure how well it helps you, but maybe it'll give you some
ideas to make something. *You'll probably need to erect a tripod or
gantry crane over the hole to pull out the stone.

For some footings, a similar tool would be ideal.
A grapple that engages the *inside* of the cavity
left in the footing by the rotten fence post.

I've pulled old footings out of the ground using
the old cavity. It's just that I used a web strap
instead of a grapple.

Right now though, I'm looking for a hand tool to
clean out the little pieces rather than the big
pieces.

Thanks!

--Winston

This doesn't solve exactly what you're attempting to do, but there's
an Atlas Copco hydraulic post puller made for road crews:
http://www.crowderhydraulictools.com/post-puller.htm
It's pricey (although maybe you can rent one) and it doesn't solve
your problem of grabbing what you want to pull (big or little). Just
more food for thought.