Wm Gardner

Default Japanese Chisels (was Who said Marples chisels are any good???)

Thanks for the input Ian. Just had that phrase ("if is sounds too good
to be true.....") running around in my head. Better to hear of someone
else's experience.

Bill

--

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt

"Ian Dodd" wrote in message
om...
Yes, SWMBO gave me the set of 10 last Christmas. Before using them I
spent a little time sharpening them (using the scary sharp system).
Once I had put an edge on the 1" chisel, I used it to shave off some
end grain from a scrap of maple. Sweet! Now, I can't really compare
them to the Marples since these were my first chisels, but I can say
that after a year they are still a pleasure to use.

Ian

"Wm Gardner" wrote in message

While we are on the subject of Japanese chisels, has anyone tried

that
set offered by Grizzly? From what you can tell in a catalog they

look
and sound pretty good but the price seems too good to be true. Has
anyone out there taken the chance?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

--

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...

Dave,
If you want some SERIOUS chisels, drive on up to Alameda, and

visit
The
Japan Woodworker. Make certain you bring your high limit credit

card,
though. They are rightly proud of their tools.

On the other hand, your grandchildren will be trying to decide

who
gets
them when you're gone....

I've been looking at just buying a couple of chisels from Japan
Woodworker. My limited set of 1/4, 1/2, and 1" of cheap stanleys

have
seen only use of the smaller two. And they are better suited to

glue
line scraping than mortising.

What does one need to spend on individual chisels to get a good
mortising chisel? $30 $50 $150?

Thanks for those who have used them.