Mike in Mystic

Default Question about rust

Hi Ed,

The oxygen in the water isn't coming from the propane, it's coming from the
air. 2 of the mass units in water are from propane, but 16 (the oxygen) are
from air. If you work it out stochiometrically it makes sense.

I'm starting to wonder if it would be cheaper to get a highly insulated
garage door, and maybe put R-30 in the walls and get rid of the windows in
the garage. I've had to de-rust my jointer the last 3 times i used it.
Today I could almost literally watch the rust form on it. From the time I
went it until I left (about 3 hours) the rust probably doubled in quantity -
from a light coating, to a pretty moderate to large amount.

I think i'm going to try Tom's dewaxed shellac idea. It's the cheapest and
most direct. I don't have any idea how I'd rig up the thermostat/timer
thing. The problem being, I usually only get out there on weekends, and
lately only 3-4 hours at a time.

Oh well, I guess this is life.

Mike

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...
Robert Bonomi wrote:
It's all in how you measure things --

One lb of propane, when burned, creates approximately 2-1/4 lbs of
water (in vapor form, of course.) This is roughly 35 fl.oz.

How does this happen? You mean that propane (or any other fuel) can

create
more mass that what is was before being burned? If this is true, why

don't
we ship propane to drought stricken regions and burn it to make water?
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome