Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default 8th largest army in world deploys...

On Dec 28, 1:00*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DGDevin wrote:

If reasonable folks like you and me had instead been raised in a
refugee camp, with no nation to call our own, with violence and
poverty all around us, with a powerful neighbor dropping bombs every
time some terrorist group blew up a bus or whatever--who knows, we
might be on the fanatical side too.

Ah, but if not reasonable...

I stopped at a fruit stand in Jerico for a refreshing drink of
fresh-squeezed orange juice. (The area around Jerico is the Florida of
citrus fruits for Europe.) I chatted up the owner.

Me: "What is that abandonded cinder-block city just down the road?"

Fruit-stand owner: "It's an old UNRWA (Relief and Works Administration)
camp. It was originally built in 1948 to hold the refugees from the Israel
war. Then in 1967, in the next war, everybody abandoned it and fled to
Jordan because 'the Jews were coming!' "

Me: "What difference would it make that the 'Jews were coming'?"

Him: "The people were afraid they were going to be killed!"

Me: "Did anybody get killed?"

Him: "Er, no."

Me: "Did you flee?"

Him: "No. I had my fruit stand!"

Me: "... So, how's business?"

Him: "Business is good, Allah be praised!"

-----
You've got to understand that NOBODY likes the Palestinians. The Ottomans
kept them oppressed for about a thousand years. The Jews ran them out of
Israel and much of the West Bank. The Jordanians kicked them out of the
country (the infamous "Black September" movement) and they went to Lebanon.