Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Then and now (Chrysler engines)

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 12/27/2010 6:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

... The 8 cylinder 318 engine got about 10 1/2
MPG. My Mom's car, a plymouth with slant 6, got about 18
MPG. I liked the slant six engine. Also easier to work on,
with the starter on top.

You probably had a cracked dual ballast resistor, a common
problem with the early units. A lot of guys carried a spare
ballast resistor in the glove box. :-)

TDD

Something was grossly wrong, then...the 383 would do 18 mpg at highway
cruising speed in my '69 Charger w/ the 4-bbl Holley...

The 318 in the mid-70s pickup even w/ the axle ratio that made it run at
fairly high rpm compared to passenger vehicles would easily manage 15-16.