Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default why only 99.9% of germs dead?

On Dec 24, 4:44*pm, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

Nothing kills all Germs. Germs is an inexact term, means nothing.
Bacteria can be killed by chemicals or heat or radiation.
Some bacteria, when life becomes difficult, turn into a spore (almost
like hibernating) and are then very hard to kill. Tetanus and gangrene
for example which is why they are so serious.

Disinfecting kills non-sporing organisms.
Sterilising kills, theoretically, all life.
Pasteurising kills targeted organisms.

However with all forms of streilisation there is a "death
curve" (time versus the process) which never reaches zero. ie some
will always escape.

Household disinfectants are pretty ineffective and what effect they
have lasts only a short time. Phenol based ones can be dangerous as
they oxidise to something that supports some bacteria. They should be
washed off after use.
Chlorine base dones cease to be effective when they have evaporated.
They are totally ineffective on dirty surfaces.
Most are a complete waste of money, better effects can be achieved by
cleaning with normal household cleaners. There are no short cuts. But
there's plenty of ******** out there.
The very idea that you can kill all bacteria is ridiculous. We need
some to live.
20% of garden soil is bacteria. 10% of your wieght is bacteria. You
are covered in them inside and out. Your house is full of them. The
air is filled with them.